Wednesday, June 22, 2011

Lentiginous

Brian sometimes hates going places with me because I tend to embarrass him.  Say like when we went to McDonald's and I ordered a kids meal and the guy at the window asked what kind of child's toy we wanted, (while he tried to peer in our window to see the kid in the back). So I just told him, "a girl toy, it's for me". Brian almost died he was so embarrassed! He said he would never go back there and he hasn't!

Brian thinks all the awkward encounters we have with people are because I look like a lost puppy. But this encounter I was just standing there and did nothing to provoke the man.  It all started with Brian's mom finding an armoire for free, it just needed a little TLC.  Brian and I decided it would be a good project to fix up together.

Our first stop was at Rod Works to find an embellishment for the top of the armoire. I thought it was a really neat store, and Brian wanted to barf.  We found some things we liked but decided to check out Tai Pan Trading before we decided on anything.  I have never seen Brian move so fast through a store before. We were in there for maybe 5 minutes max before Brian had, had enough of "girly" stores and just decided to get the embellishment at the other place.

When we finished with the "girly" stuff, he was excited because we were finally going to a "Man" store, Home Depot. When we walked in he took a deep breathe and said, "Finally! don't you just feel at home here?" with a giddy look on his face.  I just rolled my eyes and followed him around.  When we made it to the paint desk we told the guy what we wanted and he started getting it ready.  He then turned to me and asked me how long I had been lentiginous? I looked at Brian and he gave me a look like "what have you done this time"? I just looked at the man and said sorry I didn't know what that meant. He then asked if I liked being lentiginous and I told him since I didn't know what it meant I didn't know if I was happy about it or not.  He then laughed to himself and said, "it means your freckled faced." I ahhhed and told him I had them as long as I could remember.




Then things got a little interesting..... He recited a nice little poem to me about freckles, and he also did it an Irish accent! When he finished he asked me if I was Irish or Scottish or perhaps even Scandinavian? I told him I didn't know and he was very disappointed. But not for long because soon after he started telling me about his family history, and how his family was on the mayflower and how he gets part of the Declaration of  Independence because one of his ancestors signed it. I was smiling at him, and out of the corner of my eye looked at Brian. He had a look of sheer terror on his face and looked like he wanted to bolt out the door as fast as he could.

When our paint  finally finished the man handed it to us and thanked us for our business. Brian and I took the paint and walked away. As we were walking to the car I told Brian this was not my fault and he couldn't hold my freckles responsible.  He was very traumatized by the whole thing because he realized something.... Not even his precious man store is safe when I'm around.

1 comment:

This is me! said...

He he! It's good for him!