Monday, October 22, 2012

What I learned as a child...

I almost died this morning!!!

Apparently, Bab's brakes don't work when their wet and just my luck it was pouring rain this morning.

Normally it wouldn't be that big of a deal because I go through the cemetery........ Just not when it's dark.... (Call me paranoid but who knows what kind of creepers hide out in the cemetery in the dark!)

So instead of going through the cemetery, I ride down the hill a little ways until you get to the sidewalk which is at a really weird angle.  So here I am peddling to work, I can't really see anything because the rain is pelting me in the face, a car is coming up the hill, and my brakes don't work!!

Luckily for me I have had experience with this!  As a child none of my bikes had brakes.  And most of the places I rode my bike consisted of fairly large hills.  So what did I learn to do..... Put my feet down!!  At one point, my friends and I thought we were genius's and we attached roller blades to our feet. Not only did you get to bike and roller blade at the same time (two of our most favorite things), but the roller blades had brakes on them.

I'm not going to lie though, braking with your feet caused a lot more accidents!  I don't think a week went by without one of us crashing.

So this morning I am blind, wet, and careening down the hill out of control, and luckily my childhood instincts kicked in. My feet shot out and slowed me down just enough to make the sidewalk!!

Happy news, Thanks to a childhood of brakeless bikes, I made it to work alive today! 

Sad news, my shoes didn't make it :'(


1 comment:

This is me! said...

Brian needs to look at those brakes! So sorry about the shoes, but I'm glad you are still in one piece!