Monday, April 15, 2013

Fantoft Stave Church

My mom and I also found this stave church.
 





















  It wasn't the easiest thing in the world to find but it was worth it.
























 A stave church is a medieval wooden, Christian, church building.
 
























This church was originally built in 1150. Sadly the real one burned down in the 1990's and they rebuilt it so this is a replica.  
























































We did learn that the stone cross was made sometime around the year 1000.


 Since it was winter season we couldn't tour the inside. 
 
 I guess that gives me a good excuse to come back!


2 comments:

This is me! said...

Now that's just amazing- what a work of art! So sad that the original burned down. I think I saw this on a TV travel show once...

Anonymous said...

What an amazing church!